|RESIDENCIES 2006 / 2007
2011/12 | 2010/11 | 2009/10 | 2008/09 | 2007/08 |2006/07
Angela Conte | Anthony Mawson | Dorothee Kolle | Kristaps Gulbis | Mariusz Soltysik | Yvonne Cullivan
Mariusz Soltysik, Artist in Residence 06/07
Residency Exhibition: 'exTENSIONS'
exTENSIONS - (1. (an example of) the act of extending or being extended; 2. (of)] a part which is added to make something longer, wider, or larger; 3.any of many telephone lines which connect various rooms or offices in a large building to the switchboard; 4. a part of a university which offers courses to people who are not full-time students: 5. also extension lead // extension cord - an electrical lead which can easily be bent and which has a plug at one end used to connect a piece of electrical equipment to the electricity supply some distance away)
I have titled the exhibition “extensions”, because it is an extension or elaboration of my ideas and thoughts through videos, photographs, objects, and drawings, with its focus on places that are temporary, evanescent, or momentary, and interesting to me. I never get used to them, yet they never leave me indifferent. They generate a very specific ambience, a kind of tension, like a waiting-room at the doctor’s, or a rather uncomfortable situation of queuing at a bus stop or on the underground, etc. There is something to them that is interesting, curious, not to be found elsewhere, and that attracts my attention. Truth be told, even some places at home, e.g. the hall, are such extensions, introductions to something. These places maintain certain momentary tension, energy, warmth, etc. Also, terminals, tunnels are in way fascinating for the transformation we undergo from conception to death. Perhaps this is why I stop to brood over these seemingly empty, not particularly interesting places and look at them with some tension.
Mariusz Soltysik was born in Lodz Poland and studied at the Academy of Fine Arts (PWSSP) in Lodz, 1985-1991 and the L'Ecole des Arts Plastiques et Visueles de l'Etat in Mons, Belgium 1991 -1992. Soltysiks is an artist and curator and his exhibitions include;
- ”The Power of Place - Sense in Place”- project in Iceland, May 2006;
- ”Simultan 02” - International experimental video / sound festival, Romania, 2006;
- 37-th Painting Biennale “Bielska Jesieƒ 2005”
- Bielska BWA Gallery, Bielsko Biala, Poland, 2005;
- “Café Europa” International Project in Public Spaces, Lodz - Berlin, Poland, Germany, 2005;
- “Ego” - City of Lodz, Museum, Poznanski Palace, Lodz, Poland, 2005;
- “En Route - part II", B246 between Belzig and Brück, Germany, 2003;
- "En Route - part I", Fuendetodos, Spain, 2003;
- “Wandering Library - Markers IV" Project of The International Artists’ Museum in Venice for 50th Venice Biennale, Italy, 2003;
- Quinconce, 10 ans de bouteille" - La Louviere, Belgium, 2003; Artfront/Waterfront ” - Newhouse Gallery, Snug Harbor, New York, USA, 2002;
- Intimate space ” - Kont Gallery, Lublin, Poland, 2002; Cambio Constante - II” - Zaragoza, Spain, 2001….
Soltysik was awarded 31st Nationwide Painting Exhibition “Bielska Jesien'94” in Bielsko Biala, Poland - distinction awarded and the Main prize at the W. Strzemiƒski memorial competition at Academy Of Fine Arts (PWSSP) in Lodz, Poland, 1991;
Works are in the collection of “Le Centre de la Gravure et L’image Imprimée” La Louviére, Belgium.