The Leitrim Sculpture Centre was established in 1997 in the market town of Manorhamilton, North Co. Leitrim to facilitate the training and professional needs of artists across the North West.
The objective was to provide a high quality working facility for practising artists in traditional and contemporary sculpture techniques with a specific focus on the development of work in stone, bronze and wood.
Originally offering facilities and professional support in these areas the centre has since developed into a leading centre for contemporary practice across all mediums and styles including installation, multimedia and environmental practice and research.
A revenue client of the Arts Council the organisation became a charity and non-profit company in 1997 governed by a board of directors. Arts Council capital grants enabled the company to purchase two properties in the town of Manorhamilton. One consisted of a nine bedroom hotel known as ‘Sheehans’ and the other was a large factory complex on the edge of town of circa 1,300 sq. mt known as ‘Merenda’.
Notable projects in the past include, Lough Macnean Sculpture Trail and the FAS Training programme 2000 – 2004.
(September 2006 - December 2008)
Refurbishment of the centre is financially supported by The Arts Council, Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism, Leitrim County Council Task Force, Peace II European Programme for Peace and Reconciliation, Arigna Leader and the Green Box (Interreg IIIa).
The development consists of:
Miranda Factory, New Line Manorhamilton
- Hot Glass, Bronze Foundry, Metal Work and Ceramic facilities
- Mould-making and model-making production area
- Heated Gallery and Project Space of 350 sq.m
- Gallery lighting & ceiling, walls
- Public entrance lobby and reception
- Project Studios & Drawing
- Performance Space
- Five workshop units attached to Metal, Glass, Ceramics, Stone and Wood
- Fire Corrider and Health and Safety features throughout the Building
- H/C water system, heating, filtration and pumping station
Sheehans, Main Street, Manorhamilton
- 7 individual artist studios with lighting, heating and broadband data drops
- Study and Archive Resource on ground floor
- Heating throughout the building
- Electrical Re-wiring of whole premises
- Fire exits, detectors and Safety features throughout
- Fine Art Print & Multi-media Unit for digital design, print and time-based work
- Traditional Printmaking Studio for Etching, Litho and Silksceen production Heating throughout.